Thursday, January 31, 2013

Back Burner

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about my husband.  Maybe it’s because Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, or maybe because he just deserves to be thought about. In retrospect, I’m more in love with him than ever before, but (there’s always a but) I feel so undeserving. 

I have Brent. I have him forever and I am ohsograteful.  Since baby it’s been four months of can you’s, will you’s, and do you mind’s. Can you get me a drink? Will you turn off the light? Do you mind not eating dinner because I forgot to cook it for the third night in a row? These types of things. He answers every single one of them with a yes dear and a smile.

He’s been put on the back burner.  Unintentionally of course, but it happened. And through it all, he’s a man of pure grace and patience.  He knows his time will come.  I am struggling to find the balance between mommy and wife, and yet he seems to be so sure of himself. When all attention went to Lilly, his focus stayed right on me. I’m his princess, he says. It’s true; I most definitely feel like his princess. While I’m looking into the eyes of our child, he’s staring at us both.  His love shines so bright.  I want to be more like him. 

He dances with me in the kitchen. He starts tickle wars as I fall asleep. He sings to the radio with me. He works hard and plays even harder.  And most importantly, he loves us with all his heart. And it shows.

We laugh until we think we’ll die, barefoot on a summer night.
Nothing new is sweeter than with you.
And in the streets we’re running free, like it’s only you and me.
Gee you’re something to see.  

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Home



1 comment:

  1. Oh Missy that was so sweet and so true. I am very proud of you both and love you so.

    ReplyDelete