Tuesday, March 26, 2013

California dreamin'


If I don’t blog ever again, it’s probably because I ran away to the mountains at Lake Tahoe.  We stopped there for a night on our drive to San Francisco. Apparently 10 hours stuck in a car seat was long enough for little bird.

Mom rant: I HATE car seats.  Strike me down dead for saying this, but seriously.  I’m well aware of the risk factor and will spend my entire life ensuring the safety of my littles, but I’ve got to devise some sort indestructible bubble suit for infant travel. When she’s content, she’s happy as, well, a bird. But go a mile further than she wants, and you’ll hear it until she’s freed.  I’ll admit it, I’m totally tempted to take her out and let her just be. But I don’t, and I won’t.

 
Travel day two was much shorter. I’m not sure if my geography teacher skipped over this part or I’m just a total ditz, but having never been to California before I was not expecting so many mountains. And it’s not just one big beach party with beer, babes, and sunshine. Apparently that happens a little further down south. Granted it’s only March, it’s a tad chilly nonetheless.

 San Francisco doesn’t go without its own highly sought after attractions though. So far we’ve seen the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman’s Wharf, and a homeless man with projectile diarrhea on the side of the road; all of which were a first for me. 

San Francisco is no Lyman, Wyoming folks. It’s building to building chaos. But if you ignore the GPS enough times, you eventually find yourself amongst some of the prettiest scenery around.  I’m amazed at the diversity here, amongst the people, homes, and scenery. Within 3 square blocks there are slums, million dollar mansions, and then somewhere in the mix you’ll find Haight-Ashbury, which is an experience all on its own.  But right outside the concrete jungle you’ll get to Pacifica, where we are camping right on the cliffs of the shoreline and get to watch a nightly sunset that stretches for miles. 

Mom’s appointments are going well. Everything is as to be expected. The medical team is top notch; her surgeon was the one who developed the main aspect for this newest theory of treatment. Ocular melanomas are rare; only 2000 diagnosis each year, and a majority of them; we all feel so lucky that she was a candidate for proton radiation and that she is in with the best of the best. We’ll be here for a few more days for surgery recovery and more appointments. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers.   




No comments:

Post a Comment